Where in the World is Catherine Castillo?

Monday, June 22, 2009

The Miracle of Life/Passing my first medical exam

While I have not had a chance to write out an entry for my trip to the Lake Mburo Wildlife Reserve or the first week of visiting rural health centers, I had to post the following out of excitement.

Today, I personally witnessed the miracle of life. More specifically, I witnessed the surgical miracle of life. A patient at Mayanja Memorial Hospital delivered her 4th child through her 3rd and last C-section, and the surgeon, Dr. Mugerwa, who is actually an OB/GYN and also the founder of the Mayanja Memorial Foundation and Hospital, allowed me and my teammember Gregory to be present at the surgery. I have been present at one minor surgery before in the US, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would witness such an intense procedure in person until medical school - and this birth was really quite intense. While I imagine that labour and normal birth is quite an intense process, watching the entire swiftness, aggression, and bodily matter involved in the operation was incredibly fascinating and incredibly amazing. However, its intensity pailed in comparison to the shock and awesomeness of watching the unfortunately breech positioned baby being removed from the uterus by its feet, essentially being yanked out when its head got temporarily stuck in the opening of his mother's belly, and then seeing it breathe and cry for the very first time.
Additionally, I was able to see the mother's entire reproductive system, and then watch the mother lose her fertility for the rest of her life as her tubes were tied.

Talk about an amazing day! Additionally, I feel it marks the passing of my first medical school aptitude test - I did not feel queasy nor did I look away. So blood, fat, babies, umbilical cords, and placenta - check!

1 comment:

Calendar for the Semester